Saturday, April 24, 2010

Joel Dubow Can Kiss My Arse,Medal Podium At Penn Here At Last

"You cats keep beatin' up your chops I had better turn you over to the cops
I dig this spiel I'm going way on your gate don't cop your broom pop or buddy or mate
You run your mouth and I'll run my business brother,you run your mouth and I'll run my business brother
You tell everybody I'm busted,you talk so much you got me disgusted,you run your mouth and I'll run my business brother"
You Run Your Mouth{And I'll Run My Business} Joe Jackson

Remember that blog entry on April 12th I said I couldn't speak about?....well now I can....and will...and how....
Knowing I was only the alternate runner today and unless something dramatic unfolded I wasn't going to be running I went out this morning for my 10 miler,where as yesterday I felt a little leg weary this morning I felt a little heavy legged,and yet I clocked a 64 minute time,the moral of this tale just because you feel slow doesn't mean you're running slow.
Post run and shower I had time to check a few footie{soccer}scores as the regular season winds down to it's final two weeks b4 making my way to Franklin Field to meet up w/ the team....oh did I NOT mention b4 THE TEAM THAT WAS ORIGINALLY BARRED FROM THIS YEARS PENN RELAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rather than rehash all that I'm gonna post the link to Masterstrack blog http://masterstrackblog.com. when Ken Stone ran the story on Thursday if you scroll down from the top you can read the whole article,cliff notes version,Joel Dubow or as he shall be known from hence forth, Richard....oh let's skip formalities......DICK effectively tried to have us kept out of this years Penn Relays.....please feel free to read his 18 paragraph diatribe,frankly if that was him being concise I'd hate to have read a long rambling explanation!!!
A day later following what I'm lead to believe was a series of phone calls and emails he issued a retraction to this and the club was back in.
What is DICK'S problem w/ Greater Philadelphia Track Club?I'm not sure there's an answer to that,what I do know is nobody should have the right to block a club from entering Penn Relays or any track meet for that matter because they have a beef w/ them,much less abuse their position as president of Philly Masters Track Club who for some reason has a say on who runs Masters events at Penn Relays,I suspect we haven't heard the last of this story,just because we were allowed back into the event SHOULD NOT be the end of this saga,DICK tried to make life difficult for us last year and will probably try again next year unless he's either removed from the position of president of Philly Masters Track Club OR somebody other then DICK has control of the Masters events at next years Penn Relays.....................

Anyway enough politics come race time 9 of the 12 Masters 40-49 teams lined up, effectively the same team that won at Millrose minus substituting Bobby Mc w/ Dave{Tower Of Power}Brown.
Scott lead off,you'll have to forgive me for not getting the exact splits post race from Chuck but I'll post the link to the clubs homepage on Monday after webmaster Dave Thomas posts the story splits and all,we were 5th or 6th at the first exchange when Ray took the baton from Scott.
For years Ray was the only natural 400m guy on the 4x4 team,these days he has a little help.....
Showtime for the two Penn Relays rookies Dave and Nick....and what a show they put on!

W/in a couple of strides Dave took us from 6th to 3rd b4 the first turn and honestly from my vantage point in the upper level Tower Of Power was showing no signs of debut nerves as he ran a 53.9 leg after a pair of 55s from Scott and Ray,b4 the hand off to Nick.
You gotta love Nick,he not only ran a 1.58 800m at Drake Relays yesterday and won but he then anchored us today I think he ran a 52 second split as we held onto third and set a new club record of 3.36.5. taking 2 seconds off last years record 3.38.9.......not bad for a team that was BARRED from this years event 10 days b4 hand and notified by email the morning the final schedules were being set............................................................................................................................

So how do I feel missing out on all this?sure it was a new role to sit and watch as alternate and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to be on the team,but as I've said time and time again I'm NOT a 400m guy,never was,when called upon I could run a decent 400m but I've know for a few years my time on the 4x4 was coming to end,a feeling Ray and Scott probably share as the elder statesmen of the 40s 4x4 we can look forward to joining Chuck on the 50s team in a few years....till Nick,Dave,Bobby Mc and Delvin turn 50 and oust us as they did in our 40s....the running version of the circle of life if you like!!
Glass half full by not making the 4x4 team this year I've been able to log 200 miles in the last four week{45,55,50,50 w/ another 10 on tap tomorrow}as I prep for the 5,000m and I wouldn't have the 5,000m and 10,000m club records had I been training for Penn,unless you're Barbie you can't have everything.

So DICK,how'd you like us now?the club you BARRED finished third....fancy that, a Philly club third at Penn Relays...................read em and weep sucker

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've said this a lot about the NYC running scene, and I guess it may apply here too...sometimes, the local running clubs are like fraternities and sororities. Some clubs want to get others in trouble (frats/sororities-social probation, banned from mixers...running clubs-banned from races.) can't we all just get along? :)

kevin f forde said...

Joel/Dick is just that...a dick!
Whatever his petty vendetta w/ my club it really didn't need to reach this stage,banning a club from Penn Relays 10 days b4 the event and also the day the events were scheduled just reaked of being vindicted,he'll get his trust me,the knives are out already!!