Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Keepin' A Lid On It.....For Now

Once again I've been asked to refrain from speaking up,speaking out on the ongoing situation that is swirling around me right now.
Because I respect the people who have asked me to bite my tongue I will,but I have been told there will come a time when I can say my piece on all this and oh believe me I will!!!,till then......

One plus of all this bollocks I ran a spirited 57 minute 9 miler this evening,last nite over the very same course I ran it in 62 minutes....you tell me a fire under your arse won't shave minutes off a training run!!!! and this included having some "ankle biter" trying to get under my feet coming out of the park on the outbound section of my run.
In spite of the grey skies and omnipresent threat of rain I was always going to run this evening,if you knew what's been going on for the past day and a half{and you will!!}you'd understand why I ran this evening and why I ran so fast!
Tonite was my last nite to go"buck wild" b4 Friday's 10,000m at Widener,tomorrow's 8 miler and obviously Thursdays 6 miler will be ran at a more sedate pace.

Today would've been my father Kevin's 77th b'day,he'd have enjoyed the passion and commitment of my run this evening,Kevin was my first "coach" and boy did he do a job grooming me,2nd to Kevin might as well have been 2nd last and he drilled that into me every race,I recall an upcoming 800m race back home in 78/79 that I was concerned about,my problem was I was too old for the younger age group and subsequently younger than the older guys in my age group as I fretted about this out loud Kevin in his own unique way said"don't worry we'll give them a run for their money" "we???"I responded somewhat indignantly at the insinuation "the ould fella" was going to run the race w/ me....and then the master stroke by the master technician"we'll if you're too chicken don't bother to run it" he said.....knowing damn well he'd lit a three alarm fire beneath my jacksee.....5 days later I was the Lewisham Parks 800m champion and it's those memories I Cherish almost 25 since he died.
At the time I resented his"win or don't come home"style but years later I grew to appreciate what he did for me,back then it was a fear of losing,now it's an overwhelming drive to win,and yeah there was an element of Peter and Seb Coe w/ Kevin and I but look at what those guys did through Seb's glorious career?

2 comments:

The Laminator said...

Ooh, now I'm intrigued. Sounds intense, whatever your lid is covering...

Great runs BTW. Good luck in your race this weekend.

Thanks for your kind words again. I am recovering slowly from my fall. Luckily I still have three weeks so I think I'll be okay. Time will tell.

kevin f forde said...

Lam,
when the "powers that be"allow me to I will sing like a bird over this matter I've been asked to stay quiet on...trust me.
The fire under me on Tuesday did wonders for my time,maybe I should run angry more often???
Glad to hear the fall in training was a minor blip,you're too close to D Day now to have it all come undone.
Nice job in DC