Saturday, April 3, 2010

Standing On The Edge Of The Abyss

"So don't let me die just wondering what it was I left behind,I want a race well run ahead of the gun w/ a dance b4 the far finish line.
So no life long regrets,only well feathered steps,until these shoes I can no longer shine,but don't let me die still wandering for the love I left behind."
Don't Let Me Die Flogging Molly

Nothin' like a little Flogging Molly to get the celtic blood pumping b4 a race,hell it worked last weekend!!!
I wonder how Eamonn Coghlan felt on the eve of his first ever 5,000m in 1979?if I'm not mistaken it was at the AAA's Championships in Crystal Palace having won siver at 1,500m in the 78 European C'ships in Prague and gold at the 79 World Indoor C'ships in Vienna he made the move up to 5,000m b4 the Moscow 80 Olympics and in spite of taking on established 5,000m runners Mike McCleod and Rod Dixon Eamonn was victorious thus beginning a 5,000m career that encompassed a low of 4th in Moscow but Gold in Helsinki three years later in the inaugural World Championships.
Great milers/1,500m runners having been moving upto 5,000m for years,as far back as the Flyin' Finn Paavo Nurmi to modern day great and inspiration Bernard Lagat,now is my time to test the waters and see if I have what it takes to make that move,I've said b4 if ever there was a year to step outside my 800m/1,500m comfort zone to see if the 3,000m/5,000m is worth a try it's now.
I have just under an hour to kill b4 walking down to famed Franklin Field,a walk I've made countless times for workouts and Masters 4x400m relays,let's see what the outcome is today shall we?

No comments: