Saturday, April 10, 2010

If This Was A Test I Think I Passed

At the second time of asking I managed a weeks worth of long runs b4 a 5x1,000m repeat.
My first attempt 5 weeks ago went swimmingly as I notched 5x8 miles Mon thro Fri b4 getting rained out of my repeats b4 rebounding w/ a 10 miler to notch my then biggest mileage week of 50 miles..........
Fast forward five weeks,Mon thro Fri 5x10 miles{lest we forget Sundays 10 mile run} and now w/ no rain and clear blue skies a chance to tackle my first repeats since March 16th but also and more importantly my first 5x1,000m since March 1st.

The whole point of this exercise was to see how well I'd cope w/ a set of repeats on tired legs,I won't lie Wednesday when I felt fatigued and then Thursday when I felt a little leg weary I wasn't overly confident of doing well but I think it's a natural reaction given the mileage I'd put in,all I could do was wake up w/ a positive attitude and give it my all.
Out to Lower Merion High School by 12.30pm, a mile warm up and some core strength stretches b4 stripping down to my tshirt and shorts,it was warm and sunny enough for that if not a little windy around the top turn and back straight.

1,000m,#1 1.12,1.21,38-3.11.82. The plan was to try and go out in 1.15-1.20-35 I wasn't far off if I say so myself,I knew I could not risk a 69 second opening 400m,this was no ordinary 1,000m repeat,this was a repeat on the back of 61 miles since Sunday,go out all guns blazin' on the opener and potentially implode.
1,000m,#2 1.21,1.20,35-3.16.66.I thought the opening 400m felt comfortable,no wonder!!!,I quickly made the adjustment and managed to finish w/ some dignity.
1,000m,#3 1.18,1.20,36-3.14.61. So far so good,if you'd have offered me my opening three splits b4 I began this workout I'd have willingly taken them,I dare not have hoped for this.
1,000m,#4 1.23,1.25,39-3.27.89. Frustrating as it was it was hardly a surprise,I said all along the premise of this workout wasn't how fast I could run but how I could run on tired legs.
The beauty of only 3 mins recovery in between repeats was little or no time to dwell on it
1,000m,#5 1.20,1.20,33-3.13.06. It's hard not to be pleased w/ a final repeat like this,much less a closing 200m of 33 seconds period...never mind the fact I'd just ran 54 miles for the week,64 counting last Sundays 10 miles.

Would the outcome of today been any different had I not had to run 10 miles Sunday b4 launching into 50 miles over the last five days?who knows but I said all along when I dreamt up this blueprint it was about being able to deliver the goods on tired legs and in my humble opinion today I did.
Will I attempt this schedule again?probably,I learnt a harsh lesson a year ago about mapping out my training sessions a month in advance so I'm keeping it week to week,even thought it's not committed to paper yet I do know what's in store for next week....and if I'm honest a few weeks in advance...........face it when you spend a week doing 10 miles runs each day you have ample time to think these things out and w/ races about to dictate the next two months I have to tweak my training around them,but yeah don't be surprised if another 5x10 miles/5x1,000m week doesn't show up in May,June and July.

No comments: