Thursday, April 22, 2010

On Outside Looking In

Thanks to the Penn Relays this weekend I was only looking at a 4 day work week,which given the week I've been having is probably just as well.
After yesterdays rain out I was happy to be back out on the extended extended out and back along Cobbs Creek Parkway for my 10 miler,roughly 65 minutes,par for the course.
Following a quick shower and grabbing dinner to go I walked down to Franklin Field for the time honoured tradition that is Distance Night at Penn Relays.

This was my 5th year coming to Distance Night, a series of 3,000m,3,000m steeplechase,5,000m and 10,000m races although in fairness I've never stuck around for the 10,000m races and even w/ tomorrow off from work I didn't stick around this year either....one of these years I will.
Obviously the race that held my attention was the Olympic Development 5,000m,I always felt my chances of getting in were slim to none and when the race gets won in 14.02.is it any wonder?
The last place runner crossed the line in 15.41. which is still faster than my current pr of 15.57. but given my pr came almost 5 years since my previous 5,000m race and after only 6 weeks of 5,000m training I have to hope a year from now I'm a more legitimate 5,000m runner w/ a more legitimate 5,000m pr,who knows maybe next year I'll actually get to run at Distance Night period but at 47,now that'd be something wouldn't it??

No comments: