Thursday, April 8, 2010

One Step Closer

10 miler #4,#5 if you count Sunday as I edged closer to a record setting 55 mile week.
Having taken full advantage of an early nite opportunity last nite I felt a little less leg weary than yesterday,as I made my way on the out bound section of Cobbs Creek Parkway I was reminded of an old Monty Python sketch"Secret Service" where the punch line was "still I was getting used to it by then"

W/ You Tube still available at work I've been able to watch some classic 5,000m runners and races the past few days,I've watched Emil Zatopek,Hicham El Guerrouj and of course Steve Prefontaine.
The Munich 72 5,000m race was unbelievable,I still feel if Pre hadn't hit the front w/ 4 laps to go w/ such gusto he may've had something left off that final turn,that said how Ian Stewart hauled him back in for the bronze is still beyond me.
You can't help but wonder what might've been four years later in Montreal had Pre not died a few months prior to the 76 Olympics,I feel an older wiser Pre would've been a better match for double champion Viren second time around,alas we never got to find out.

One more 10 miler tomorrow to tie me at 50 miles my longest week to date back in March between the 8th and 14th off of 5x8 miles a rest day and a 10 miler,this time around we're looking at 5x10 miles and then the killer 5x1,000m on Saturday

5 comments:

Rob said...

Kevin,

Congratulations on your recent 5000m race. Sub 16 is both awesome and an inspiration to me. I am the same age as you, so you give me hope that maybe I can get fast again. I do have a question for you along those lines. How close are your times now and over the past couple of years to what you ran in your late teens & early 20s as an open runner?

Thanks and congratulations again.

Rob

kevin f forde said...

Rob,
thanks for the kind words,I hope I can inspire you to getting back to where you once were.
Sadly I don't have records of my early 20s times,I do know I wasn't running 3,000m in 9.11 or 5,000m in 15.57 I feel the aging process has helped me running smarter and thus faster though.....what da ya know,life does begin at 40!

kevin f forde said...

Rob,
I did race some 3,000m and 5,000m back in in my teens & early 20s I'll have to look up the times from my old logs and get back to you on them,I do know they were slower than my current times

Rob said...

Kevin,

Thank you. You can either post on your blog or email me at my email address rjnesbit@aol.com. I am also on facebook as Robert Nesbit if you are on facebook.

Rob

kevin f forde said...

Ah another Facebook runner!
One evening when I'm home and I have my old running logs at hand I can dig up my old 3,000m/5,000m times and compare them to now for you.