Sunday, November 7, 2010

Bridges

Another Sunday,another 16 miler.
Had to fly solo today,Sean was unable to join me,no biggie however our paths did cross early on along the Schuylkill Banks as Sean was returning from his 5 miler,we chatted for 5 mins b4 heading off in our separate directions,maybe next Sunday we'll try the easy 10 miler together and Sean can fill me in on the clubs awards night since I'm not attending again this year.

For the first time in eons I was able to run across the South Street Bridge today,it was reopened yesterday after being closed for repair for a while now and while I'm sure it makes commuting a whole lot easier I was more delighted w/ the fact I can now zip over the South Street bridge,hang a left and more or less be on the Schuylkill Banks instead of crossing the Walnut Street bridge and then pissballing around w/ a set of concrete spiral steps both at the beginning and end of the 10 mile banks/loop 10 mile section of the run.

No doubt the local masses were over at the Ben Franklin Bridge this morning for the 10k,10k's have almost become obsolete these days and while I have no real yearning to return to road racing it's possible next years Ben Franklin Bridge 10k could be one of my fall races along w/ the Radnor Run the week b4.....but that as they say is a story for another time.

I'm enjoying these Sunday 16 milers,I think the change of scenery helps plus I always loved running along the Art Museum Loop,something that went for a burton when I made the switch from road racing to track in 06 but for the next couple of weeks I'm looking to enjoy this trip down memory lane,it'd be foolhardy to think I'll keep the Sunday 16 miler in my rotation once I begin returning to repeats in mid December w/ Saturday being one of my two track days,but who knows if I lose days during the week maybe a long run on Sunday would help make up the lost miles.

Post run I got comfortable on the bed and watched the New York City marathon,of the 14 marathons I ran in 20 years between 85-05 2 were in New York and while I doubt very much I'll return to marathons anytime in the near or distant future let me just state for the record the New York City marathon would probably be the one marathon I would consider.
Props to Shalane Flanagan on her second place finish in her first ever marathon and to Meb and Dathen for their 6th and 8th place finishes in the men's race but most of mad props and much respect to Edison Pena the Chilean miner who finished the marathon,Pena said he spent a lot of his time while trapped in the mine running,God bless him.

45 miles for the week having lost three days let's see what this week brings period much less w/ the clocks going back.

No comments: