Saturday, May 1, 2010

May Day,May Day

''And the heat the heat you make,you make me swoon you make me swoon
I,more than adore you naked,standing before you
Hush,baby hush rush,here comes the rush,you make me swoon,you make me swoon."
Swoon-The Mission

If it's Saturday that means I have a date.............in front of the tv to watch "Doctor Who" and the love of my life Amy Pond aka Karen Gillan,hence The Mission lyrics to "Swoon".
I either have to type fast on Saturdays or wait till after 10pm to write my blog{11pm next week cos Karen is a guest on The Graham Norton Show....jesus three hours of Karen on tv....I doubt I'll have the ability to type.....note to self write next Saturday's blog EARLY!!!}
Early along w/ Karen Gillan would be the watch word of the day,had I gotten up earlier I might've avoided having to switch tracks today....let me explain.

Having had to switch up my repeats from Wednesday Friday to Wednesday Saturday due to lacrosse I should've seen the writing on the wall upon arrival at Lower Merion at 1.30pm and two lacrosse teams warming up on the infield.
After my mile warm up and half of my stretches I was politly informed once the lacrosse match begun the track and the infield were off limits.....
Fair enough,I know someone who got beaned in the jaw w/ a lacrosse ball while he worked out on the track so I have no qualms w/ that.
Why did I wait until 1.30pm?normally I'd be done by then when I head out to Lower Merion,however today Spurs were playing at 10am which really buggers up the whole day if you're heading out for a repeat.

I could've gotten up early,gotten out to Lower Merion and gotten my repeat in and back home by 10am,or dvr'd the game and watched it when I got home but I opted to watch the game{we won 1.0 and we're still 4th w/ 2 games to go}b4 heading to Lower Merion,where my three year record of always getting my repeats in there went for a burton.
No worries,Haverford is only one stop up the line and I arrived there by 2.35pm,I'd already got my warm up mile in and half my stretches so upon completion of my second half of stretches it was have at it time.

#1,1,000m 1.12-1.16-35-3.03.7. Holy shit!If I'm not mistaken my fastest 1,000m split to date,so much for my projected 1.17-1.17-34-3.08.
Like any lightning fast repeat the lingering question is ,can I keep up that pace over the remaining repeats??
#2,1,000m 1.14-1.17-33-3.04.3. Clearly #1 wasn't a fluke but w/ the time closing in on 3pm the heat was now about to be a factor.I know I pitched a bitch about the rain on Monday,it's in a runners dna....we're never satisfied.
#3,1,000m 1.15-1.18-36-3.09.8. Dare I dream a 5xsub 3.10?.....
#4,1,000m 1.19-1.21-36-3.16.1. NO!It's a sad day when a 3.16 is frowned upon,I knew from the first turn my knee lift and leg turnover were lacking but I hung in there,shame about the 1.21 split also.
#5,1,000m 1.19-1.19-30-3.08.2. Are you shitting me? w/ 49 miles for the week on tap I found the wheels to clock a 30 second final 200m and run a 3.08.2 1,000m.
Amazingly throughout the repeat this one guy had been in the outer lanes but sure as shit down the back straight of my final 1,000m he switched to the inside lane,no worries swinging wide to overtake him is good practice,it's rare you overtake on the inside.

This was a great workout, back in October I notched a 5/5 sub 3.10 w/ splits of:3.07.3-3.10.5-3.09.2-3.08.5-3.05.8. 1 second faster 15.39-15.40 but given the heat,having to switch tracks mid workout and the 45 miles for the week coming into today I'd have to give this repeat top billing.......thank God tomorrow is a rest day!

No comments: