Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Return Of The Three S's Speed,Strenght,Stamina

"My love for you is immeasurable my respect for you immense.
You're ageless,timeless,lace and fineness,you're beauty and elegance.
You're a rhapsody,a comedy,you're a symphony and a play.
You're every love song ever written but honey what do you see in me?
You're an essay in glamour,please pardon the grammar but you're every school boys dream
You're Celtic,United,but baby I've decided you're the best team I've ever seen"
You're In My Heart-Rod Stewart

Yes if it's Saturday I'm paying lyrical homage to the love of my life Karen Gillan and getting my blog written b4 8pm and a rerun of last weeks "Doctor Who" b4 the new episode at 9pm!
Mile repeats today,not out on the Main Line as is often my won't but a tad closer to home at Temple,I always forget they have a track,anywho following the first leg of the League One playoff between Huddersfield and Millwall{0.0 all to play for at The New Den on Tuesday....c'mon you Lions!!} it was a el and subway ride to Temple.

Chuck and Tim two Temple alumni were already there when I arrived b4 10am,they were going to do their 800s while I tackled my mile repeats.
After being short changed last week at Franklin Field I was keen to not only notch all four mile repeats but also post some decent times,since moving up from 800/1,500 I haven't been hitting as many repeats of late,in fact in recent months I had one set from a very cold Friday in December 5.19.9-5.31.5-5.34.8-5.19.9.and a not so chilly January 5.39.0-5.33.2-5.42.8-5.21.7.time to return to fast mile repeats I felt.

Conditions were sunny and warm w/ a slight wind along the back straight but following my mile warm up I was ready to lay it down
Mile#1,1.18-1.18-1.17-1.13-5.06.8.Nice consistent pace and getting faster per lap,the concern now given that last weeks fastest mile repeat was 5.15 was had I gone too quick too soon?
Mile#2,1.14-1.19-1.16-1.15-5.04.0.Compare to #1 a little uneven but a 2 second improvement and not only proof I hadn't gone out too hard but a chance to keep lowering each split.
At 3.49 at 1,200m I'm glad I kept the big picture in mind rather than go balls out for a sub 5.
Mile#3,1.16-1.18-1.16-1.13-5.03.7.Yet another faster than the previous mile,clearly I'd knocked the rust off of last weeks return to mile repeats.
Mile#4,1.15-1.19-1.20-68-5.02.5.How'd ya like now??Ok the 1.20 sucked but fatigue and a pick up of the wind didn't help and yet I managed to throw down a 68 second closing lap,I closed the 5,000m on Monday in 69.

This was a timely return to fast mile splits,sadly it doesn't look like I'll tackle them again till Memorial Day but on the evidence of today sub 5 isn't too far off.
So a unique bookending to my week,5,000m race,4x10 miles,4x1 mile and another 50 mile week,w/ a rest day tomorrow I can reflect on the week that was and begin the mental prep for the upcoming week and Tuesday's 3,000m race at Ichan.

No comments: